Sunday, August 31, 2008

Vegas Vacation

We just got back from our trip to Vegas. It was so much fun. We left Thursday night and came back Sunday morning. We were busy having fun the entire time.
We stayed at the Venetian. It was really cool inside. Josh couldn't get over the ceiling being painted like the sky. He was so excited to tell me about it when he first saw it.Here are the Tobey's that we went down with (Luke, Julie, and Dominik). Luke was Josh's mission companion. They are from Beaver and were so nice to let us crash there on Thursday night and on Saturday night and then came with us to Vegas. We had so much fun with them.
We went to the Cheesecake Factory in Caesar's Palace for dinner and there was this huge fish tank out front of it. It was way cool.We stopped at the Bellagio to watch the water show. We both loved it. My very favorite thing of all (and I think it was Josh's too) was Bodies. That was the most amamzing thing in the world. It is human bodies that have been preserved and different things are shown- one shows the nerves, another shows just the blood vessels. There were hearts and brains and lungs and fetuses. There were siamese twins. It was absolutely incredible. If anyone ever gets the chance to see it, we highly recommend it. I didn't think Josh was going to like it, but he hasn't stopped talking about it. He did get a little queasy towards the end, but I am surprised that he lasted that long.We went to Vegas's Chinatown. Josh really wanted me to see what it would be like when we went to Taiwan. Chinatown wasn't very big, but everytime we do something with the Chinese culture (no matter how big or small) I learn more and more about it. We had a drink there called Zhung zhu. It was different than anything you would get here in the U.S. but I was surprised that I liked it. We also went to the grocery store there and got a lot of drinks and candy. I have liked all that I have tried to far. A few things were weird to me...they had live fish and shrimp there to buy for dinner. And Josh and Luke showed us "stinky fruit" and trust me... it stinks. It smells rotten. YUCK!!! I also learned about the language... People from China talk with a lot more of an accent then people from Taiwan. I like the Taiwan version better. On Friday, We went to The Popovich Comedy Pet Theater. It was so cute. The animals did the tricks. The cats walked a tight rope, the dogs sat in a classroom, the could do math, etc. It was very good. I was amazed at how good it was.
One of the last things we did, and one of my favorite, was going to see Phantom. I have seen it before in SLC and I loved it, but this Theater was actually built specifically for The Phantom of the Opera. It was absolutely amazing. All the music and the play was mostly the same but the scenery in the Vegas show was incredible. I absolutely loved the chandelier. I had someone recommend that we see this when we went down and I thought that it wouldn't be much different than the one in SLC, but just having the scenery for it made a big diffenerence.

Overall we had a fabulous time. Our feet are sore, especially mine. We decided that Vegas is something you do only once every so often, and we have had our turn with it for now.

5 comments:

Jordan and Hollie said...

Oh my gosh! How fun! I stayed at the Venetian went I went down for work a couple weeks ago and it was really nice. I wanted to go see the bodies and phantom but we didn't have time. I am so jealous! You guys look so cute!

Tanner and Chantel said...

Looks fun!

Burch Family said...

Hey Laurie, I came across your blog and thought I'd leave a comment. It looks like you had a lot of fun in Vegas! I'm sure you will have even more fun in Taiwan! It'll be fun to have your husband show you around! I am glad to see that you are doing well.

Trent and Cas said...

glad to hear that you liked the bodies...did you know they will be here in SLC in about a week?!! I really want to go, maybe now my husband will go with me...if I tell him that your hubby liked it.

Joni said...

The Bodies are so cool! We went in Denver and we had just taken Human Anatomy, so it was so fun to test ourselves, we probably sounded like know-it-all's, but we had fun.